Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Congratulations, Ryan! University of Sheffield

Congratulations to Ryan for his scholarship! Ryan will be spending the Spring 2010 semester on the Sheffield Exchange Program at the University of Sheffield in England. Please read the short article below to learn more about his upcoming experience!

Name: Ryan McGowan

Major: Aerospace Engineering
Year: 2012
Location of study: University of Sheffield, England

The scholarship I applied for was the University of Sheffield in America Study Abroad Scholarship. I won £500 for submitting some information about me (name, home university, major, etc.) as well as a short essay about my personal and academic interests online.

I plan on taking classes on circuits, medieval history, deformable bodies, philosophy, and electromagnetism to fulfill some of the requirements for my major, but I'm also looking forward for the opportunity to become involved around campus and see what college education is like in another country. Of course, some may say that the UK is one of the most similar countries when compared to the United States (and I do hope to do some travel around the rest of Europe), but I definitely think there is a lot of interesting history and culture present just within England.

Overall, I am excited for the experience of going to a completely different continent (I've never been overseas before) and seeing how nations around the world interact with one another while maintaining their own unique heritage.

For more information on GT Exchange Programs, please visit the GT Office of International Education website: http://www.oie.gatech.edu/sa/